Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Woody & Buzz

Today was an earlier morning for everyone because we had a group meeting (beginning at 9AM) to go over some details about classes, ticket reimbursement, the dorm, etc. Some guys at the meeting mentioned being harrassed on the night bus by guys in black uniforms; they were called all kinds of bad names for homosexuals and Jews. It sounded so strange and I felt bad for them. Immediately following that, I had my Intermediate Polish lesson. On the way back from class, I stopped by a small store. During the meeting, Gosia recommended going to a store called TESCO - a British chain of supermarkets - to buy kitchen supplies, food, and anything else we need. I think I may still go there later, but I happened upon a little shop with plates in the window during my walk, so I stopped in. There were all kinds of knick-knacks from toiletries to laundry detergent to slippers to kitchen and bathroom supplies. So, since I was there and did not want to go directly to TESCO then, I decided to pick up a few items. I did not buy too much, but still more than Polish cashiers seem to be accustom to. :-P I should start remembering to grab a basket since I have a habit of trying to pile up everything in my hands in these small stores. I gave up trying to use a cart at a market the other day because they were fairly small, but the aisles of the market seemed almost the same size. :-/ I decided to load up a heavy basket instead. I still may take the Metro sometime to check out TESCO - I may need a little rolling suitcase for that trip, haha. :-P Older women here do seem to have a little bag on wheels with a handle for traveling around and for carrying goods when shopping. It is also crucial that I carry larger reusable bags since I tend to pick up uncertain amounts that may be more than I was planning on buying.

Yes, "Toy Story." I like little plates, bowls, utensils, etc. This is a wide bowl. It was between choosing this pattern, Disney Princesses, or Winnie the Pooh - you can see that Woody won. :-P I am more of a fan of just Belle and Ariel - not as much the other girls, so I picked these guys (the Princesses included Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Belle)

A bowl that is deeper, but not as wide as the previous one.

A plate. ;)

I thought this could be for soup, oatmeal, microwaved apples ( ;) ), and anything else hot, especially for cooking in the microwave since the Toy Story ones are plastic (not for the microwave) and this should be OK for cooking in a microwave (maybe it is ceramic or some thin metal?)

A towel. :P It is maybe Chinese or Japanese with a puppy, haha. I will use it for drying dishes

Yes, mostly sturdy plastic. :-P I did not want to spend a lot of $ and did not want anything too fancy or that would break and make me sad/mad, so I bought hard, plastic utensils - forks, spoons, butter knives - that I can wash and reuse and a steak (sharper) knife. I initially wanted maybe 1 or 2 of each utensil and then grabbed these. This is a holder for them (and drying rack)

Utensil Man = "John Necessary" :-/
Any other suggestions of what I may need? I know that I have to buy some laundry detergent soon... I checked out some options at the store today. I also will need some more food, toiletries, etc. in the near future, but I still seem to be alright for now with the travel- and regular-sized items I managed to bring.

1 comment:

  1. I am sending the books you needed and more fun snacks like popcorn, almonds, luna bars, cereal,"new" gum...also 1 sharp knife,2 forks, large spoon and a tea spoon & dish cloth towel( you can leave it there afterwards).
    And some other small items if I find them....ha-ha

    ReplyDelete