Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hurra! PO POLSKU

Hello!

Last night I went out with some people on the program. We met with some other students - some American and others not - and I saw a Polish flat, a really pretty club near the Palace of Culture and Science, and a kebab stand (boys on the program recommend the spicy chicken kebabs there but it was late so I did not have any). By the time we made it back it was not too late but VERY cold. The kind of cold that makes your fingers and hands ache. :-/ At least it was nice spending time with other program kids and seeing more of the city. I also could sleep in a bit since I have only one class and a film viewing today in a short time.

In terms of classes, I have books only for my Polish class ("HURRA!! PO POLSKU 2") and the "Survival Polish" script from when I was with the Beginners. They are neat; one is a textbook and one is a workbook:
Sorry for the blurriness - I tried to enlarge the image I could find. The workbook looks about the same and they come with audio CDs - reminds me of my old books for French courses
We just had an assignment that mentioned Polish celebrities and I recognized a couple from my grandma's (Babcia's) satellite TV. :-P I also have a very large, blue binder full of readings for my Jews in Poland class.

Recent food trials = I tried a no-sugar-added - so considered "100% fruit" with maybe just juice added? - strawberry jam with actual strawberry chunks earlier that was pretty good. I am also having some water - gazowana that was more unintentional but still good:
Other brands I have had include Laguna Bialy (affectionately called the Laguna Beach water by some of us US'ers)
http://www.kroplabeskidu.pl/

I also pulled something that smelled of death from the sink drain. So fun! :-D ... Now I have to head to class soon.

Happy Thursday. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi, is it possible to find Hurra Po Polsku 1 (student's book, work book and CD) in Warsaw, Krakow or Bielsko?, do you know about a book store where I can find it?, Thank you thank you very much it has been so hard to find it in Madrid :( I have called at least to a 3 book stores and no luck. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My materials were bought at an academic bookstore close to my school; I gave money to my professor (since she has a teacher discount) and she bought everything in Warsaw here:
    Filia w Alejach Niepodległości

    Aleja Niepodległości 145
    02-555 Warszawa
    tel./fax. 22 848 52 83

    There are others locations of these academic bookstores (many around Warsaw), which you can see on their website:
    http://www.ksiazki.org/teksty/6/Kontakt

    I hope this helps! I also know of a Polish bookstore in Chicago that carries these instruction books in the USA.

    ReplyDelete