Saturday, February 19, 2011

Let's Go To The Mall

Another chilly, snowy day here in Warsaw. I decided to finally check out the vegan place I have wanted to go to. I had the "heavenly salad" for lunch. It was quite heavenly. :)

So. Good.
If not the best, then at least one of the best meals I have had in Warsaw so far. I was pretty hungry and it was very tasty, so I was happy. ;) Vegan/Vegetarian restaurants never fail in my book. The salad was a mix of vegan, Asian/Oriental, and Polish flavors: lettuce, shredded beets, cucumbers, red peppers, avocado, faux meat [that had a flavor reminiscent of Polish sausage/pork meat], tasty dressings and sauces, sprouts, and tomatoes. The place was cute and pretty easy to find in an area that had a lot of shops and restaurants. The people who seem to run it are Asian and had some Asian-language channel on a TV in there, but I am pretty sure I heard the two fairly young guys working were speaking an interesting-accented Polish. :-P Right before I left some girls came in since I must have been one of the first lunch-goers today.
http://lovinghut.waw.pl/index.html

After eating, I walked down the street the restaurant is on because it is a populated area. There is a mall down the street and I decided to just walk to it. Of course it was another AMAZING mall. I think Poland wants me to just move in to a mall. Being a girl and the weather being just cold enough to make me uncomfortable after too long means a mall is a great contained place to wander and to explore. So many great stores, clothes, foods... It was also architecturally beautiful with nice furniture, twinkle lights, etc. I especially liked the stores Flo (http://www.flo-store.com/), home & you (http://home-you.com/), Zara Home, other home stores, and some clothing stores (H&M, Camaieu...). I went to the biggest Carrefour yet; it even had clothes and electronics sections. Crazy. I wanted to do self-checkout but I was informed I had a bit too much and had to go through a regular line, where everyone must have thought I was some kind of weirdo for my inability to comprehend and to respond properly with speech. I just do not feel comfortable always saying I do not know, do not understand, or do not speak Polish that well (which usually makes me regret not being able to speak that well or to understand that well... :-/ ) People almost feel rude to me, but they might just see me as an ignoramus. Who knows. I try (maybe just not hard enough. :-P Especially since I had Polish class only once this week and did not finish my homework yet).

ARKADIA - another great mall in Warsaw
http://www.arkadia.com.pl/

On my way back to my dorm, I was the only person on a tram when two little Arabian-looking girls with unibrows and magenta-colored hands jumped on and begged me for "help" (money) with a sign (didn't try to understand it, but do remember seeing help on there) and a small cup. I tried to say I do not speak Polish that well, but the older/speaking one continued her sad spiel and pouting, so I gave her 2 PLN to leave me alone. She walked away and the younger one started asking me to give her some of my groceries and luckily left me alone after saying no. I later saw them jump off at the next stop and meet some guy (father, ringleader, who knows).

Now I am relaxing and wondering if I will do anything special tonight. Maybe a movie? Maybe some reading and TV? Maybe go for a walk somewhere? Hmmm... Weather seems to play one of the largest role in my plans lately. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment