Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cold Hands, Warm Heart

Falling asleep a bit early threw off my sleep schedule a bit, but all's well!

Today was another day of exploration and indoor activities; yesterday was more mall, today was more museum. And sometimes not having definite plans can allow for the good unknown to occur.

Wandering on my way to New Town (Nowe Miasto):
Cool graffiti by a soccer field/stadium

More graffiti


I like artistic graffiti, so I apprecited these ones



This is for my Mom, lover of roosters



I decided to check out the Maria Sklodowska-Curie Museum in New Town today. It is located in the place she lived in here in Warsaw (16 Freta Street). I received a discounted ticket price since I am a student. :)
Poster celebrating the anniversary of Marie's solo Nobel Prize in 1911

Cool quote by Mr. Pierre Curie, Marie's husband


It is neat to see locations being celebrated for former inhabitants
The museum is on the second floor of the address. The first floor has a cool store that I think my sister would like as well. It had "oriental" decorations and statues and gifts.
Cool store

Some of the Buddha-related statues
After the museum stop, I decided to head towards Old Town and maybe see if I came upon another museum (I know the Literature Museum is near Marie's).
MILK BAR - I saw one on Nowy Swiat Street as well, so maybe I will check one out sometime


View walking near the river

Back of the castle, turns out there was a neat art sale by local artists in the downstairs - made me wish I had a place to put some of the great artrwork I saw; so beautiful I wanted to buy some :)

Turns out it is FREE to visit the Royal Castle on Sundays. ;-) I now want to live in a castle. Why can't I be Belle and "Beauty & the Beast" actually happen? :-/
Throne + cute little boy (his Mom was taking pictures of him)

What a ceiling

Every room was amazing and a few took my breath away or made my jaw drop

 Pictures do not do it all justice; going in person is highly recommended if possible. :)
Eagles. :)

Chandeliers and pretty ceiling

Chapel

SWORDS

There were tons of portraits throughout the castle tour

More fun painted ceilings

This room's name? The MARBLE room. (After the green room and the yellow room among others) :-P

That's a lot of marble

Coat checks are everywhere. :-P
After the castle, I decided to do a bit more wandering and the sun was starting to go down :-( The snow today was pretty, but it began to become quite cold around this time.
A lot of accordion players out on the streets, this one had a wicked beard


One of those street statue-guys who sometimes don't move - he both moved and spoke :-P



This was a scary street statue-guy. Is it a monk? Death? A priest? Just creepy?
I decided to head back when I felt super cold and thought I should be inside before dark. :-P Now it is tea time.
I live and go to school in Mokotow; Old and New Town and Centrum are in Srodmiescie

No comments:

Post a Comment