Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Golden" Terraces for Good Reason

Another long, cold, gray day here in Warsaw. Today included a presentation about a CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) class about social issues in contemporary Poland. The class seems interesting and it is one that I had put on my main list of classes to consider taking. After the presentation there was the first Polish lesson. I decided to stick around with the beginners for at least a few days since it will be helpful for me. Once SGH classes begin again I may join an intermediate there instead of being with the beginners or the advanced groups here. We learned the alphabet (not something I had a lot of experience focusing on, so I liked working with it) in addition to reactionary phrases, greetings/farewells, and numbers.

The group learned from our assistant director (Gosia) that we will be attending a performance at the end of the month of a traditional folk dance group from the area. Also, we will go to a ballet in March. After the lesson, we had a brief meeting with the program director (Bogdan) and then the advanced group had its lesson while everyone else went back to the mall Golden Terraces. It is so great. We all went straight to the food court since it was time to eat. Some had to comfort themselves with Mickey D's :-P but I chose to go to a place called "Salad Story." The menu was all in Polish, so I had to use the pictures and some knowledge to order a salmon salad (salatka rybaka). I was spoken to in Polish and answered brief bits in Polish. Not sure if I was convincing or the girl just tried anyway, haha. Somewhat success? Scary as well. Pertains to a "slang" word our Polish professor taught us: "cienki" (weak/afraid). Jestem cienki. :-P
http://www.saladstory.com
Salad with smoked salmon - second or third time having smoked salmon since leaving USA - , sprouts, lettuce, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and vinaigrette dressing

After lunch, the girls who were there went to H&M. I bought a scarf and a dress:
The white one with flowers :)

Cotton dress :-D
I also considering purchasing a glitter headband. Maybe next time? ;) Since I was quick in the store, I told the mini group that I had to drop by the grocery store quickly and then I'd return. I bought more apples (yay fruit!), some gum, a Coke Zero to drink then, some baby wipes, and some snack bars (think that was all...). I walked around the mall a bit; it is one of the best malls I have seen. The Five O'Clock tea/coffee shop/store chain that I have been meaning to go to has a location at this mall; it smelled sweet and amazing inside, but I shouldn't be buying teacups and tea assortments when staying in a hostel. :-P I did not enter SEPHORA, but I think I may at this mall or another in Poland before heading trans-Atlantic again.
My sister's home away from home - this one being one of the Warsawian/Varsavian ones
On the way back to SGH for another class presentation, the mini group stopped at an CUTE ice cream shop (Malinova) that has been recommended to us before and is right near the school; I had a fruity-flavored scoop similar to sorbet. Us girls will be going back. Tasty. :-P The class presentation was on Jews in Poland. It seems interesting, so I am looking forward to it. Since then, the group bought some groceries (some of my purchases included frozen steamable vegetables (yay vegetables!), yogurt (mmm, apple-y and cinnamon-y), and more snack bars) and now we are at the hostel. Orientation continues tomorrow...

Na razie!

No comments:

Post a Comment