Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Babcia/Mama Always Makes the Best Pierogi"

It seems that every day the hostel staff try to improve the breakfast. Sadly, there was no tomato today, but there were bulki (rolls - these looked and tasted similar to hot dog rolls and were slightly sweet), two kinds of rye-type bread (one was darker and smaller and the other was standard wide and white), strawberry jam, strawberry or peach yogurt, milk, orange juice, tea, same cereals, cottage cheese, and sliced meats. I did not really care for any of it, haha. The jam and yogurt are okay.

We, as a group, headed to orientation together today and learned that one student did drop out and fly home yesterday afternoon. We discussed classes a bit and more about Warsaw and traveling. I still believe I will be taking only CIEE classes and not actual classes at the school that are taught in English. This would be two history classes (one on Jews in Poland and the other about Central/Eastern European history 1871 onwards), one literature class (post-war Polish writers), contemporary social issues in Poland, and whatever level Polish I am placed in. We received CIEE clip keychains as well (Our "gift," haha). Some museums were recommended to us and I saw a few books on Warsaw that look quite interesting:
One here = http://citydoping.com/
The other pertains to activities that are really only here in Warsaw.

Finally figured out how to dial to US:
Calling USA from Poland?
Dial 00 + 1 + US area code + US local telephone number.


After the beginning session, we went to lunch at a Polish chain restaurant that is country/peasant-style food:
http://www.chlopskiejadlo.pl/menu.php
I initially thought about having soup and/or pierogi with fruit, but sadly the one with fruit is not in season. :( I had to settle for pierogi with sauerkraut and mushrooms and it was a bit too sour for me and not as good as the ones my Babcia makes (apparently all Polish people say their Mom or Babcia (grandma) makes fill-in-the-blank better/tastier). The apple pierogi never let me down this way. And this was yet another meal with sliced rye bread (there was some at dinner last night and it is a hostel breakfast staple) served with lard and a cheesy spread (looked similar to a thinner cream cheese). There has been a lot of bread, haha. :-P We had a lot of good conversation at lunch and I chatted a lot with the assistant director Gosia. I asked a lot of questions and she is a great resource for the area and traveling and Polish people/culture/history in general.

I took the Polish exam, which was a bit too difficult for me. I don't write much of anything and know little grammar. I know mostly words and can understand some spoken to me, but I cannot speak too well. So, the test was written only and the professor spoke to me some. However, it seems that the other two who know Polish do know more and everyone else knows none. I wonder what the teacher will do. I would not mind having a class alone and the other two be together and the rest be put in beginner's. Now I am relaxing in the hostel and wondering what to do tonight. Not sure what I will do since it is quite cold. I have some green apples to snack on. Hooray fruit. I also tried some snack bars and rice cakes; they were all so-so. I did like the bar I had yesterday and another strawberry muesli bar one of my roommates had from her aunt.

More later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I don't understand your refernce that you will only be taking CIEE classes. Make sure you get to take the classes you expect and also important help toward your degree. :) BTW if you could take a class in Economics it wouldn't hurt consiedering that is what the school is known for.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete