Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Sun Shines in Warsaw!

Thanks for sharing some blue skies and sunlight, Jenn. ;)

Everyone put on sort-of semi-formal wear for the ballet; we stopped at an Italian cafe/restaurant beforehand for a quick dinner. I had a fish soup with pieces of salmon, carrot, and soba noodles with fish broth and a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, chicken, hard-boiled eggs, cheese (pushed aside), cucumbers, and dressing.
Restaurant: http://www.giovanni.pl/rubino/main.html

The ballet was GREAT. I adored the costumes and men in tights, haha. The dresses the girls wore I wish I could dance around in. :) After the ballet it began to POUR rain down on us as we anxiously waited for the bus. I stayed at the hostel while some of the others went out to a couple of clubs and to have some food (I heard kebabs and McDonalds mentioned... NO KFC OR MICKEY DS FOR ME!) I stopped at a gas station on the way back and bought a LITER of cola. ;) (in addition to an apple and gum). I relaxed, read, finished up homework (selected classes already, so it was pretty much finishing some Polish vocab) and fell asleep. :-P Tonight I have to finish up packing since we leave the hostel tomorrow! :-D We should all celebrate leaving! Hooray! Less than 24 hours before dorm life begins. I will not be living only out of a suitcase. :-/

Today, we went to the Chopin Museum. It may be one of the most beautiful museums I have ever seen; gorgeous inside: marble staircases, chandeliers, classical music, artifacts... Wow. It is probably an important attraction I would recommend to anyone who comes here. We had made another Starbucks run before hitting the museum; this is still the only American chain I have had here, so I am still "pure." I had the fruit salad again, which is not cut up into the smaller chunks, but still mostly tasty (especially the pineapple). The only negatives I have about the Starbucks are the seeded grapes (have not really seen seedless there or at the market) and the lack of light mocha/caramel/etc. frappuccinos. :-/ What can you do? Near this Starbucks there is a Chinese restaurant and we saw a person dressed as a panda bear (second day in a row seeing it) advertising to eat there. It was walking near a woman selling flowers while holding a sign for the Chinese food.
Starbucks City Mug: Warsaw (with Chopin's Monument)

Other side of the mug

After the museum, the group decided to go have some great views of Warsaw from the Palace of Culture and Science (Palac Kultury i Nauki) since the sun was shining and it was pretty warm. This is the first day of really nice weather - nearly spring-like. :) This made the group happy to stay out. We had a chance to walk around a bit - especially in the Centrum area. There are so many places I want to check out - tea shops, bookstores, cafes...
I prefer beautiful and meaningful art/graffiti. This is Chopin with his head being a map of Warsaw, the blue being the river (Wisla)

View from the Palace of Culture and Science (notice the tall building is the Novotel Hotel)

Another view from the Palace

The ceiling by the elevators on the observation deck floor


A few of us bought train tickets to Berlin (I am holding off for now since I know of at least a couple of other train tickets for which I need to save money). I stopped at a market with a few others for snacks: fruit, rice cakes (rice waffles here), and snack bars. I have had this German brand lately, in addition to Nestle ones:
http://www.corny.de/

Now I am relaxing again, about to pack, and wondering what else I may do before leaving this "fun" hostel at 10 AM tomorrow morning (especially glad to leave after so many days of "breakfast," "bathrooms," and hearing about people trying to break into our rooms...)

Pa, pa. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment