Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Class? Work? Uhh...


So, according to my class schedule, I should have four classes on Tuesdays. The first (history) does not begin until March. When this class would have been, I took advantage of relaxing and napping a bit before putting away my clean clothes - they were a bit wrinkly and some did not dry all too well, but it all turned out okay. :-P The second class (politics) was interesting today - talking about European politics during World War II - and I found out that the class schedule has been updated again, favorably for me. :) I have Fridays off! And the rest of the week does not look too bad.

I am here mainly to learn about Poland, so I am focusing on Polish-related courses in history, language, politics, culture, society, and literature, in addition to traveling or exploring Warsaw and other parts of Poland (and maybe Europe as well, but Polska is more important since I know I will see some cities outside Poland towards the end of my time abroad). I have heard a lot of difficulties from other CIEE students about going to classes at SGH/Warsaw School of Economics; one girl mentioned going to a class that turned out to be in Polish; my roommate went to one class that was cancelled - at least for today - and another that no longer exists. I have heard about several people being interested in a class that is also not going to be held. It is strange how much the schedule changes for courses even after the semester begins. I am glad that I do not have these struggles because I was more committed to CIEE classes than looking at too many SGH options. It also makes my schedule a bit more flexible to work with and using classes that I am interested in (so far at least). It is still awkward for all of us how little "work" we have done; friends in the States are already pretty far into the semester, while some of my group are still figuring out classes to take and schedules. I am pretty certain about those classes I have chosen and they were pre-approved, so I also do not have the issue of having to contact deans and teachers about making sure SGH classes will count (I did a pre-registration type form and checked with study abroad and other teachers before leaving Fairfield). But still, only three of my classes have actually started; Polish has given some work, whereas the other two have given a little reading since they began last week (only Polish began fairly soon after arrival). One of my classes - a Polish literature one - somehow did not happen. I was waiting with other students from my program by the assigned room this afternoon and the professor never came. He said we would begin this week (after Valentine's Day) rather than last week, but maybe he went to the wrong room/building? Or maybe something came up? Or he simply forgot? Maybe we will find out later and I will still wait again next time the class is scheduled and maybe he will show then. We even had an issue about room assignment yesterday when my Polish class was moved to our program director's office after our scheduled classroom turned out to be having another class in it.

When I was in the kitchen today using the microwave, a guy there waiting to use it after I finished spoke to me in Polish and I had to say I do not speak that well and he asked what language I do speak, so we spoke in English after I told him that would work better. He asked where I was from and how long I was here and we both said we are half-Polish; he said he spoke Polish to me because I looked Polish - I had heard a few days before from a Polish-American student on my program that I do not look that Polish, so I guess it depends on the viewer or maybe the lighting/angle. :-P

Since Polish was cancelled tomorrow, I have the day off. :-D Some people went out tonight, but I am going to stay in to read, to do yoga (Tara Stiles on Youtube!), and to possibly go to bed at a reasonable hour. I need a shower and whatnot anyway. :-P As mid-week approaches, I am uncertain about weekend plans as of yet. Hopefully the weather will be nice. It has been sunny the past few days, but really quite cold (especially at night and when windy) - I try to stick to the sunny parts of the street when I can.
Commit Yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment