Thursday, February 24, 2011

In A World A Pure Imagination

Recent peculiar sightings include an icicle almost the entire length of a building roof-to-ground; might be the longest one I have ever seen and it was quite pointy-looking. I also saw some people who started a fire in what I think was a garbarge can by a Metro stop. I am also a terrible abuser of the express self-checkout at groceries. The DIY registers are more for people with 15 items or fewer, but I quite enjoy scanning my items. I do this in the US, too, but I have only been stopped once when I went shopping last weekend, haha. :-P Lucikly, I was not stopped yesterday. ;)

Last night was a special celebration for someone on the program celebrating her big 21st. It began with a trip to an E. Wedel chocolate lounge (http://www.wedelpijalnie.pl/english/home/204). Some girls bought leis and those ribbon-things you blow at birthday parties; the birthday girl wore a tiara and a bead necklace with a plastic cup on it that said "birthday girl." There also was a wand that was abused (lost at least one plastic gem) - used for "magic," blessing, and spanking. A bit S&M. :-P I had Willy Wonka songs and visions on my way to the lounge, even though we didn't go near the factory (it's on the other side of the river and, like Wonka, does not have tours, just a factory store I have been recommended to go to. This has led me to make numerous "golden ticket" jokes. When that day comes, my Mom will be gifted several Ptasie Mleczko and I may try Pawelek and other Wedel treats. :-P)
This won't embed: :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-uV72pQKI

This one does embed: :-D

I learned that I may be the only person on the program who likes water "gazowana" (carbonated) - but I didn't really drink it last time I was in Poland. There were a lot of interesting selections from the menu chosen by the group. Most people ordered the hot drinking chocolates of various varieties and flavors, while others ordered chocolate fondues with dippers; a kid dessert with a cup and spoon made of chocolate while the cup is filled with whipped cream, raspberries, and raspberry syrup; sundaes; turkey sandwiches; fruit-filled chocolate crepes; and I had a scoop of raspberry sorbet with fruit (kiwi, cherries, melon balls), whipped cream, chocolate shavings, a waffle cookie, and a square of chocolate.

My dessert and water, gazowana

"Proof of Love" or "In Evidence of Love"

Vintage! Notice the Ptasie Mleczko and the fact that I turned on my flash. ;)

A bigger shot, for my Mamo :-D
The specific lounge we went to was very cute. It was big and the waiting staff wore Victorian outfits; the girls looked similar to English maids. There were portraits and chandeliers; it was as if we were in a candy shop mixed with a parlor. It has been super cold outside, but nice and warm in there. ;)

We hung out at the lounge for a while and then headed to SGH's student club, PARK: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klub_Park
On the way there, I was nearly eaten by tram doors and could potentially have tumbled down to unknown demise and pain, but landed on my feet with the only harm being my foot was grabbed (not painfully) as the doors were prematurely shut (they were open all of ten seconds... so I was exiting and people with me were trying to exit as well, so it must have been the trams fault). I was so glad that there was no harm done, I crossed myself and was so shocked. The club had free beer (Krolewskie - basically dirty faucet water with no flavor and then not a great one once it does taste of something; it is very watery and people drink it only since it is free and they want to be drunk; people spend money on others drinks or to add raspberry syrup to it). I had some sips of beer since I was pushed to do so and I had one shot of a round someone bought since I didn't have to pay for it (it was actually a pretty color blue, had a light and decent scent, and a pretty good taste). I don't think I have had much alcohol nor have I paid for any really (unless you count the entrance fee to this club). There were a ton of people and a lot of smoking, so I smelled GREAT when I left. :-P It was fun being with some program people and buddies and other students. It was slightly too loud to do too much conversing, which is one of my issues with talking at clubs; if music is loud, dance and drink. Want to chat? I'd rather be elsewhere, thanks. I guess I am not too much of a club person, but it could also be other factors - people, place, music, etc. It is especially tough going out when it is so cold. :-/ I always end up with "How Soon Is Now?" by The Smiths in my head... if you know the lyrics, then you can figure it out if so desired. It is also fun going back to the dorm after the front door is locked and you have to call in and I asked the woman answerer to please open the door in Polish. By that time my nose was running and my extremities were stinging, which means they were shortly before the point of loss of feeling. :-/

This morning some of the group went on a tour of the library - it is really nice and extensive content-wise. Now I am doing... laundry. :-/ Just one class later then WEEKEND. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment