Saturday, March 19, 2011

Self Machine

In the words of OutKast, "you can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather."

That is how I feel about my nice few hours in Torun. It was my first time using the main train station here in Warsaw. It was not too difficult since I had been in the station and platform areas before. I also figured out the schedules to determine what platform I needed to be on. The station is not so nice right now because of mega-construction and the crowdedness of the underground tunnels of the Central/Centrum Warsaw area. It is easy to walk right onto a platform since the ticket is not checked until right after boarding, so then a ticketless rider would be in trouble since the comptroller guys did not seem especially friendly (except one I saw on my train back). I made sure to be at the station earlier, but this does not really help with finding seats since this was not the first station the train was at and there were many others wanting to board with me. I was in the second class, which basically was in a cabin resembling the one straight out of "Euro Trip." It was hard finding a cabin without sleeping people or where it did not feel weird with a bunch of others inside without much room. I helped one older woman board and she kept telling me not to be shy when she opened a carriage, claiming to be full and was not, and she yelled at the patrons saying it had seats and told me to join. I kept going and ended jumping into a compartment with room, only to be the one deemed for families (mothers/fathers/parents with children under 4 and pregnant women) and this family had both a pregnant mother and a child under 4 (maybe close to 2) with a father. I snuck in and did not take up much space, so I don't think it was a big, big deal that I was there and quiet (I only noticed the sign about babies when I was already sitting down a few minutes since it was on the door (open, so not quite visible) when I saw room inside the compartment and went in, right before the Dad brought in a big stroller in addition to their bags). They had enough room (only exception being maybe if the father wanted to stretch out more on the seat...) When the man came around to check tickets, he was a bit grumpy and said "DOKUMENT" to me. I was confused at first ("Co?" = "What?") and then he repeated and explained that I had a reduced fare, so I then understood and handed my student ID, which appeased him.

The trip went by pretty quickly. One woman joined us (the father had called out to one person that it was for families, but she only glanced in the way others had and kept walking, but allowed one woman in who actually opened the door and asked if there was room (the mom was not so happy about that). We all dozed off some and I was the first to exit. The station in Torun is really old-fashioned. It also requires crossing a bridge to the other side of the Wisla River to make it to the main sites of Torun. I mixed myself up, but made it to the other side. I also had to pay to use a restroom at the station (which also has some kiosks, a restaurant, vending machines, and a waiting room), which I would have minded less if that meant a nicer, cleaner experience.

I wanted lunch by then, so I headed directly to a place I had in mind, a vegetarian Polish chain called Green way: http://greenway.pl/ I had in mind to try the vegetarian golabki (stuffed cabbage), but it was unlisted. :( I will have to check if any in Warsaw make them. So, I had some tasty soup (this soup, but with the recipe tweaked to leave out the meat: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/polishsoups/r/splitpeasoup.htm) and a "vegetable tart" (basically vegetarian lasagna with wheat-y thin pancakes [nalesniki/crepes] instead of pasta and with cheese, tomato sauce, spinach, and onions as the main vegetables) that came with some "salatki" = shredded carrots, a coleslaw-like shredded cabbage with creamy dressing and raisins, and another that was similar to coleslaw but not with any real dressing or sauce - more just shredded cabbage and carrot. The food was great and I am glad that I can try out the ones in other Polish cities, such as the three in the area here (yes, I am actually supporting a chain that is somewhat "fast food," but it is Polish-only, healthy, and vegetarian). The place was inexpensive and pretty (in Old Town and it had a beautiful ceiling with chandeliers).
Blurry Soup (I enlarged the picture)
After lunch, I walked around the Old Town; I saw Mikolaj Kopernik's house (Nicholaus Copernicus) and went on a tour inside; I saw the Old Town Square, medieval gates and walls, the Leaning Tower, Copernicus University, tons of modern shops (sadly even a fancy McDonalds with carnation bouquets on the tables and leather seats or sofas - rarely are they so nice in the US), cafes, and the famous "piernik" shops (piernik from Torun is famous; it is basically similar to gingerbread, but I think softer and better). At one of the shops (there were several) with mainly piernik (I went to the famous Kopernik chain), I bought this heart-shaped cookie that came in a red heart tin (haha, my memento). At another shop (not a Kopernik one, but selling Kopernik and loose gingerbread), I bought two filled ones (similar to the other two in the picture - which is off the Internet - but mine were covered in maybe sugar coating - one was very light and the other was a bit whiter - instead of chocolate. One had black currant (so Polish) filling and the other was apple (obvious)). It was all quite good, a bit sweet so I am not sure about if there will be a next time for eating it anytime soon, but the apple one had a strange taste to the outside, so the other two were a bit better (but I did like both fillings).

In relation to my first quote, the main issue of the day was the weather. Last time I checked the weather a few days ago, it was the same not-too-cold temperatures, but only when I checked on Thursday did it mention the rain. That and the gray sky made it not so fun, especially when it rained more intensely (luckily no downpour at least). It made me miss Warsaw, where I have places to hide out from the rain (my dorm, school, familiar public spots or a map to find new ones). I would not mind returning to Torun, but I am very glad I went and would understand if I did not have the time to make another trip and instead use the time for another destination. Torun is very cute and I am glad to have gone, especially for the train and train station experiences. I think it is a lovely little city. :) I enjoyed going a lot, it was only the weather and growing darkness that made me end my sightseeing early for the waiting room at the train station. While waiting, I had two cups of tasty (and warming!) red borscht soup from a hot drink machine and my first little bar of Prince Polo (chocolate covered wafer bar). I hid from the rain (which was even coming down a bit when I waited and boarded the train back to Warsaw). I did not have to compete with as many others to board at this station and the train itself even had few people! I had to use the restroom on-board, so I actually ended up being in first class for a few minutes and the ticket comptroller saw me in the hallway and let me stay in a cabin there while I looked for my ticket. After he checked it, I went back to the second class and found an empty cabin, where I read (homework reading includes the modern Polish Constitution - post-Solidarity - when I have yet to read the full US one I believe :-P), looked out the window, and took a nap before returning to "home base" in Warsaw; I took a bus from the station back to the dorm, where I could warm up. Today was a relax day and tomorrow might include grocery shopping and museum visit(s) and ...?

I will put pictures on twitpic soon! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment