Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lost In The World

Not sure if I should say much about the last post. Bad news is never easy.

Yesterday my final two classes were pretty interesting - Literature class included neat discussions and pictures, while Jews in Poland class involved a nice documentary film about people who had lived with several Jews before so many of them were exterminated during WWII. After that class, our CIEE group had dinner at this colorful Mexican restaurant nearby our dorm, Blue Cactus (http://www.bluecactus.pl/cactus-menu1.php). We all shared appetizers - I tried some salsa on chips and had a couple quesadilla slices - and I had a salad with grilled chicken, arugula, cherry tomatoes, onions, pumpkin seeds, and dressing. It was pretty good, except we had to wait a while since we were a large group. I am not big into Tex-Mex and margaritas, so it was all just okay to me.

So, today the weather was actually almost "nice." :-P It was sunny and probably the warmest it has been since I arrived. This morning I went outside and was pleasantly surprised by the temperature. :) After an informative Polish lesson, I picked up a package (yay, new magazines from home!) and had lunch in my room before heading out for a few hours to enjoy the good weather. I went to Hala Mirowska (http://www.spottedbylocals.com/warsaw/hala-mirowska/) first. Hmm, not sure how to explain this indoor/outdoor market. :-P I guess it is a combination of a farmer's market, a street market, a mall/grocery store, and the Windmill in Upstate NY. There is a bit Pike Place Market of Seattle in it and other places I have been and I am uncertain where they were - maybe Italy or Florida or ..., but more European. It is an experience to see. ;) I am not sure this would exist exactly the same in the US. If it did, the place would be different in terms of meat displays and meat handling in particular. I saw buckets of mostly bones with some raw meat and people handling meat with their bare hands as it was sitting out without a fridge or anything. However, there was a lot of fish and NONE of it smelled (good sign) and there were a lot of nice baked goods and commercial products and pretty flowers. I am not too comfortable yet with my Polish speaking - and not sure I needed or wanted anything being sold right now - to buy anything, so maybe another time. I also heard haggling is done there; I can somewhat try to converse in Polish, but I assume that younger people and tourist-y areas would give me more luck with people being able to talk to me if I had to use some English. :-P This place seems to be more used by locals. The fruits and vegetables and flowers might be the items I would hessitantly check out to buy.

After HM, I went by tram around the city. I walked around near Nowy Swiat Street, including checking out a highly recommended bakery for paczki (in case I want one for Fat Thursday/Tlusty Czwartek/Paczki Day tomorrow). I walked around some since the weather was nice. When the sun started to head down in the sky, I decided to go pick up some quick groceries at the Carrefour in Galeria Mokotow before heading to the dorm. Now I have some reading and homework to complete. Just one class tomorrow afternoon and it's the weekend. :) Some plans for the next few days include more museums (Zacheta Art Museum free tomorrow) and going to the genealogy department at the Jewish Historical Institute. Maybe even do more outdoors-oriented activities if the weather stays nice.

Today's photos (last time I tried adding directly to the blog I was told I have too many photos, so I began a Flickr account):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60142466@N03/sets/72157626182153368/
All Dogs Go To Heaven :)

1 comment:

  1. That picture and comment ....All dogs go to heaven is so appropriate. I know that Maggie is there!!! She was a wonderful pet and will be greatly missed by all of us!!!!!

    ReplyDelete