Friday, May 20, 2011

Jak Byka Kartofel

Last couple of days in Warsaw (other than another short stay pre-flight in about a week and a half). Yesterday was spent packing, going to Loving Hut for lunch (with a stop for a tiny bit of Malinova ice cream shop gelato-like ice cream/sorbet (apparently extra healthy from the sign about it and Italian-looking with the name 'Rosso'), and then heading to the airport. After picking up family and the car, we drove to our hotel - first hotel stay in Warsaw for me. :) After some relaxing, we went to Old Town and some of the city center. We had dinner at a restaurant in the rynek of Stare Miasto/Old Town (I had red borscht soup with a weird baked pancake with meat paste inside that I did not like and did not finish; I also had a salad with tuna, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumber). It was nice weather and we had a chance to go by the castle, some monuments and churches, and near the President's Palace. Today, after hotel breakfast, we went to the "state" office, where I learned that I was not fully prepared for gaining Polish dual citizenship unless I lived here a bit longer, in which case I would need my documents in English translated to Polish. I could go to do this procedure where my mother last lived in Poland (Legnica), but I would also need translated documents there. Otherwise, it might be best for me to do this at the consulate in NYC. Once we finished there, we packed up and fully moved out of my dorm, giving up my card, key, and bed linens when the room was checked over. We left one suitcase with the coat room for my program director to keep in his office while we travel around. Once we dropped off some luggage at the hotel, we left for Nowy Swiat Street and lunch at a milk bar (I had some bean soup - being called 'bean' does not mean 'meatless,' since it had pieces of pork or bacon - that was OK and a sampling of 'surowki,' which are basically different sides or pickled and/or shredded vegetables such as lettuce, carrots, cucumbers/pickles, and such that are normally used as sides in dishes. Most of them were good). We walked around a little before going to Lazienki Park; we saw (and heard) some pretty peacocks, the palace, and some monuments (Sobieski and Chopin). We then went to Nowe Miasto/New Town to a cafe before now relaxing at the hotel for a bit before going to dinner later. More to come (including a few pictures to be added soon)...

No comments:

Post a Comment