Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I'm Good, I'm Gone

Today was my last day of regular classes. I had history in the morning (where there was mostly a debate/discussion on conspiracy theories... not sure where that one came from...) before our program had a visit to the Presidential Palace. The tour was very quick because there are only certain parts available for public viewing (either in general or due to renovation) and since there was an event about to happen (details vague, but tourism was mentioned...). Gosia - our program assistant director - said this was the first time the program was allowed to visit the palace, which made us feel special. ;) It was neat to see where the Round Table Talks took place and rooms visited by the president and his guests. There was even a room where Chopin gave his first concert at eight years old. Our tourguide here reminded me of another person I know... :-P She also seemed to be knowledgeable of English, but Gosia acted as her translator instead of her presenting to us in English. After the tour, I walked along Krakowskie Przedmiescie and Nowy Swiat Streets, thinking about somewhere to have lunch. I ate at a popular Vietnamese place (Toan Pho) - some vegetarian pho (it was just ok; not the biggest fan of cilantro, so that was the main issue), sajgonki (Spring rolls... and I thought more along the lines of Summer rolls when ordering, which I prefer because I don't like fried foods; my bad, so I did not really care for these fried rolls), and a salad with fried tofu (only because most menu items had meat (beef, chicken, etc.) and/or fried foods), lettuce, nuts, mung beans, broth, noodles, etc. (salad was good - especially the broth and vegetables). After that, I headed back to the dorm before heading right back out for a trip to the Lazienki/Ujazdowskie Park area. I wanted to check out the Warsaw University Botanical Gardens, but I made it there close to a time that I would need to start heading back to school for literature class. So, I walked a bit in Ujazdowskie Park (so pretty) and along the street before going to class. I had Jews in Poland class (the only class I am completely done with until tomorrow I end Polish) when the literature one ended. Now, I have one more Polish class tomorrow and three papers due in a few weeks (mid-June and end of the month). I will begin my papers tomorrow... I hope. :-P I also plan to do a bit of packing and touring with my last couple of days.

Some pictures from today on Photobucket! photobucket.com/kab1221/

No comments:

Post a Comment