Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wielkanoc & Wajda

Tonight, I went to a classical performance at the royal castle here (the Ludwig van Beethoven Easter Festival: http://www.beethoven.org.pl/en/festiwalewielkanocne/xvwielkanocnyfestiwallvb/program). I sat near a group (on my right) who must be visiting from the US with a tour guide with them. On my left, there seemed to be a group from Germany or at least speaking a language that I felt sounded German. I was in the section facing the quintet (all or most from America as well... :-P The performance was under the patronage of the US Ambassador to Poland). The music was beautiful (all strings, so cello, violins, and violas; music by Mozart, Beethoven, and Bruckner) and I sat in the same section and seat number as ANDRZEJ WAJDA (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0906667/), but he was in the first row and I was in the sixth. I walked by him during intermission and when in the coat room. He looked to be grandfather-ly old man with a cane. There was a moment of silence for the anniversary of the plane crash in Smolensk where the Polish President Lech Kaczynski, his wife, and other officials died on their way to a memorial in Russia for the Katyn massacre. On the way in and out of the castle, I saw the protesters who are angry about certain conspiracy theories surrounding the Smolensk tragedy; a lot of blame is going towards the Russians and some people feel that Lech's brother (Jaroslaw) should be president. It was crazy on my way out with shouting, fire, flags, signs, and so many people. I took some pictures (all are on http://twitpic.com/photos/kab1221) and it was an interesting political rally. I saw flags and was wondering if they were free. :-P Instead, I just headed back to the dorm.

Gdansk on Friday and then Spring Break begins a week later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment