Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lions & Tigers & Bears... Oh My

Today, I went to the zoo here in Warsaw. It was both beautiful and terrible: most of the animals were gorgeous (as was the weather), but I feel so bad to see them in their cages or exhibit areas and the fact that most of the animals are not natural inhabitants of this part of the world but live here anyway with some adjustments. I particularly enjoyed the bears (so lovely), seals (so playful), lions (man, their roars are loud), tigers (one had a supermodel strut), bison, lemurs, rhino, elephants, giraffes, and red panda. A few of the animals, probably from living in a zoo, are very friendly to people and come very close (especially the goats and bison). Some of the areas were smelly :) and the zoo is definitely worth a visit since there is so much to see (I think I saw every bit except a building that had a spider decoration on the outside, so I avoided that for a reason :) ). I really was glad to go, especially after reading a book about the family who maintained the zoo during WWII (there is even a small marker dedicated to the husband of that family to commemorate the years he was the zoo's director). It was neat learning new words since there were some animals that I did not really know their names in Polish or how to say their names. Some I already knew, so it was just a bit of review for me. After the park, I had a quick dinner at the vegetarian chain Green Way (cabbage soup, kasza/brown rice, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, shredded white cabbage/coleslaw, cooked vegetables with sauce) and picked up a few items at a grocery store before heading back to the dorm. Sadly, the weekend is almost over. I am now planning more of my Spring Break. Only two classes tomorrow (Polish and Jews in Poland) and then one the next day (history) (missing one - literature - to go on a field trip to a Jewish cemetery with another - Jews in Poland).

Today's pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60142466@N03/sets/72157626295524705/

Did it Geoffrey's (AKA the BEST) way. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment