Sunday, July 24, 2011

Greenpoint

Quick notes about weekend travels. Saw some of a Polish neighborhood of Brooklyn (Greenpoint area), which includes bookstores, delis, bakeries - even a ŻABKA (means "frog" and is a 7-Eleven-like store [http://www2.zabka.pl/]) - and Polish-speaking and signs, before going to a Yankees game. I hope to return to Brooklyn (especially the Polish areas with their well-supplied stores)/NYC-area soon to explore more (I know I will be back to visit the Polish consulate there in August). After a night near Scranton following the game and a drive to a hotel, my family stopped at a Polish deli in PA before coming back home.

On another note, I recently breezed through the first book of THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy, which I had checked out of the library a couple of days ago. (I had also checked out and watched for a second time "Ziemia Obiecana" (The Promised Land) about industrialism in Lodz, Poland around the turn of the Twentieth Century. [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072446/]) Now I really feel anxious and want to keep going with the other two books of the trilogy. Lately, I have been reading a lot of books that will be released as films soon ("The Help," "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"), just before release instead of after (I also read a while ago - before made into film - "Water For Elephants," but will have to wait for DVD release to watch it). I really liked the Peeta Mellark character (and the protagonist Katniss Everdeen, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment